Thursday, August 29, 2013

First Day of School

 
I have seen so many great back to school traditions and wanted to start one with my own family. I saw on a couple of blogs sewsara and nienie where they had a back to school dinner the night before. I thought this was a great idea, it was very low key because I had to work that day and then had primary that night so it was just a quickie. But the girls loved it none the less.
 

 
 
Just getting ready for dad's special presentation after dinner.

 
This guy does not look very happy I was taking his picture. He sure is cute though, I couldn't resist.
 
Clay gave a little talk about always trying our best and then we watched this short little movie. The girls loved and Maleah actually got it and understood the meaning behind the move. Then dad gave us this quote and framed it to hang up in the girls bedroom to help them to remember.
 
"Do the best you can until you Know Better. Then when you know better, Do Better." Maya Angelou
 
Then after his talk he gave each of the girls a priesthood blessing. We know Kaitlyn isn't really starting school but we wanted her to have one as well. The blessings were so wonderful and man I could sure feel how much Heavenly Father loves those girls and wants them to do good.


My mom and dad got to come for the night. We are so lucky they live close enough to come to family things like this. We are so thankful they could be there with us.
 

 
And this guy was just too cute not to share!


Next the girls had a fashion show to show my mom and dad all their new school clothes and so that Maleah could decide what she wanted to wear on the big day! It was so cute because they HAD to have music too.
 
She was a little shy at first but then she warmed up.....a little bit.

 
But oh boy did this girl love it. She was rockin' it and posing like crazy.

 
This morning before we left. She was so excited.

 
Once we got to preschool she was a little shy. I was really surprised at this because she has the same teacher as last year. But she was still really excited. Maleah has learned so much over the summer. She ALMOST has all of the names and sounds of all the letters down. I am going to start working with her to put the sounds together to make words. We also need to work on writing all the letters without help. I know this will be a great year for Maleah. She will be one of the oldest in her class and she already know the routine so I hope this will help her. I'm excited for all the new stuff she is learning.
Honestly I'm not really sad this year. I was a little last year but I'm totally ok with her going this year. Her preschool is only 2 hours on Tue and Thur so it's really not to long. Maybe next year when she goes to kindergarten it will be different.
 
Here's to an awesome school year!

2 comments:

Darwin + Kiara said...

I want to do that tradition with our kids too. We still have a few years to go though :)

It's so nice to see you blogging again! I love reading your updates!

Jennie-O said...

Cute tradition, you guys! Love your sweet family!