Monday, August 26, 2013

Instilling Self Confidence in Kids


So lately I have been thinking a TON about how to instill self-confidence in my kids. I want them to grow up and to have a little light in them that shines brighter and for them to know that they are truly amazing.
I don't want them to question if they are good enough or pretty enough. No doubt this will happen; its human nature and we all will get these feeling one time or another. I guess I just want them to be happy and not be afraid to conquer their dreams or live the life they have imagined. I want them to have the courage to do hard things and know that they are better for it.
 So my thoughts have been how can I as their mother help them see this and their true potential.I have thought of a few things and I hope I'm on the right track here because man I feel like this is so important.
First I think the biggest thing here is to lead by example. If my kids see that I am not happy with the person I am then how can I expect them to be happy with themselves. If they see their mom (and dad) being courageous and standing up to do hard things I like to think they will be proud and in turn want to do that for themselves.
Second I struggle with this one. I know it is important to praise your kids and don't get me wrong my kids get plenty of it. I just hope I'm not overdoing. I don't want them to be boastful and think they are better than others. But at the same time I think if you truly tell your child how amazing YOU as her mom thinks she is will believe it. If you are sure to point out how great she is at sharing, or how kind she was to another kid. I think she will want to live up to that expectation that you have for her and always be that way. Does that make sense?
Third is giving your kids the opportunities to really grow. I don't really think it matters how. This is where your kids get to decide for themselves what activities they are interested in. And it is ok if they change often. It could be anything from art, dance, soccer, or singing, whatever they want. I just think it's important to let them have those opportunities to put themselves out there. To sometimes struggle and mess up but in the end work hard and know that they did their very best.
Lastly and probably the most important I believe that if my kids know beyond any doubt that they have a loving Heavenly Father who is there for them no matter what. That they know how much he loves them and can see all the blessing he has given them. They will feel self worth and realize what the truly important things in life are.
I don't know maybe I worry too much about this stuff and I just need to let what is be left alone. But I think parents have such an instrumental role in shaping their kids and instilling that confidence that they will need throughout their lives.
What do you think I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this topic, I sure could use all the help I can get!
.

No comments: