I need to preface this post. I usually have a hard time turning my thoughts into words on paper and have it come out like I intended. I'm Not good at saying things eloquently and I usually just blurt out whatever is on my mind. I hope I have done ok with this post.
There is this article that has kinda went viral. From the second I started reading it I was a little confused. You will have to read it for yourself and see what you think. But it has gotten me thinking....
We have a world that is so full of immodest and skanky pictures everywhere you turn, how is this affecting our kids. Of course it will. Is it our job as parents to delete any friend our kids might come in contact with who has immodest pictures, to post a letter to all of their said friends and tell them how they can't be friends anymore and how their immodesty is affecting her kids and how they need to stay covered up.
I do agree on the modesty fact and that girls would be wise to watch what they wear and more so what they post on the internet for every teenage boy and peeping tom to see.
But, by doing this what message is this mom sending her boys. That there is no need for them to learn to control what they think about of how these said pictures are affecting them. That it is the girls fault they are having these thoughts and they should be covered up (which they should, but not my point here). She asks the girls a question "Did you know that once a male sees you in a state of undress, he can’t ever un-see it? You don’t want the Hall boys to only think of you in this sexual way, do you?"
She says she prays everyday for the girls that "the Hall boys" will someday love and that they will be kind beautiful people who will leave them a better person. If she wants her boys to find a girl like this I think she would be wise to teach her boys that girls that post these kinds of pictures are just seeking attention and love in the wrong way. That it is the girls who are confident in themselves and love themselves for who they are that don't need to post immodest pictures of themselves to get attention. That is the kind of girl I would want my boys to marry.
That just because you see a picture of a girl who might not be wearing a bra or who is striking a sexy pose does not mean that has to stay in your mind. In fact I say teach them how to get that picture out of their minds and how to not let it affect themselves that way.
I also find it interesting that she posts pictures of her boys without shirts on flexing their muscles. Does it not go both ways, if she is expecting the girls not to post these types of pictures she better make sure her sons are not either. Maybe she does not realize how her handsome buff not so little any more boys will make a girl feel.
According to safefamilies.org 9 out of 10 children aged between 8-16 have view porn on the internet, usually unintentionally. I don't think we are doing our kids any favors if we don't realize that YES it will probably happen. Our kids will at some point see pornography and our job is to teach them what to do when they do see it.
This is so scary for me because I want to protect my kids and never let them see something that would hurt them or cause them to not be pure in though, as I'm sure this mom was trying to do. But it will happen this I know. I want all my kids girls and boy to know what to do when they see this. I want them to realize that the way that it makes them feel is uncomfortable and that there is a reason it makes them feel this way.
I want them to be able to think wow that is a skanky picture that I should not be looking at and turn away from it, no be mesmerized by it and want to look at it more.
No comments:
Post a Comment